Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day Job

“Don’t quit your day job?”

Ever hear that snarky little comment? If you write, you’ve heard it.

Now let’s get one thing straight—I am very lucky to have a husband who supports our family. I don’t have to work. But, I do want to help pay off all of our college debts, therefore, once my children moved on with life, I knew I wanted to do something to help. I began to write. As I write this now, I’ve been writing, seriously, for six years.

And I haven’t earned one single dime as of yet.

Luckily, I have a husband who believes in me and has faith in me. He believes my books will sell one day. The thing is, I’m lucky in that I don’t have to earn a living with writing like most people do. I do have a goal in mind. (need I say it again, college debts) Therefore, I have a lot invested in this. I’ve spent a lot of time with the hope that one day my work will pay off. This remains to be seen. I know many writers must hold down a ‘day job’ while working on their manuscripts during their ‘spare’ time. I feel for you. And I am in awe of you. Not sure I could handle that.

In the meantime, my day job is writing . . . and hoping.

But, mostly, sheer hard work.

Image: Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment