Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pleasant Surprise

I’ve always had stories floating around in my mind. They’ve been there since childhood, since my earliest memories. A thought would come to me and I would begin to expound upon it in my imagination. Only when I was imagining, I was thinking the story through as if I was writing it down, word for word. I wasn’t just fantasizing. I was writing in my head. All. The. Time. Being a stay-at-home mom, I had lots of time to think about these stories. Housework and the day-to-day grind is often mind-numbing, but my stories kept my mind active and alive. I entertained myself with my own imagination on a daily basis and often lived in my own little world.

By the time I finally sat down at the computer to write for the first time, the story was already written in my head. All I had to do was type away, while feeling relieved that my story was finally committed to paper before it became lost in my memory banks, (well, I exaggerate a bit, the story was written in my head, but it still took a lot of work to get it on paper).

I’ve heard it said that anyone can write if they will dedicate themselves to the task. I believe this is true. I’ve also heard it said that everyone has at least one great novel inside of them. I believe this is true too. It makes me look at people and wonder what their novel would be about. An intriguing thought. However, not everyone enjoys sitting at the computer day after day, writing. Some people have said to me that it would be drudgery as far as they are concerned. I LOVE it. I can sit at the computer twelve hours a day, writing my stories and be perfectly happy. I didn’t know this about myself before I started writing.

It was a pleasant surprise.

Image: Craftyjoe / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

1 comment:

  1. I've never looked at it that way, but that has definitely changed as of now. I'll be wondering what stories people have in their heads. I have too many ideas wandering in my mind. It's chaos I tell you, chaos! One day, i'll organize my thoughts on paper.

    ReplyDelete