Monday, January 21, 2013

BELIEVABILITY

Every once in awhile, I get a review that says the believability factor was a little thin. (Mostly this comment applies to Sierra, my personal favorite of all of my books).

Not sure how I feel about this. After all, I AM writing FICTION!

Personally, I love to engross myself in a book that is an escape from everyday life. I want to be entertained. I want to relax and forget everything else around me. I want to experience life in a way that I will never experience it. That's how I feel about what I read, hence it's how I feel about what I write also.

I like to write books that technically COULD happen. But, would they really happen? (BTW, I'm not talking paranormal here.) Maybe, maybe not. I like for books to be just that little bit over the top. To me, this factor makes the book entertaining. Humdrum, everyday life is . . . well, boring, in most cases. Of course, this is a personal preference. Everyone in the world will have a different opinion on the matter. It's one of the first lessons I learned while writing--not everyone will like every book. What appeals to some, may not appeal to others. And you know what . . . that's okay! As long as there are some people who it DID appeal to!! If EVERYONE hated it, then, well . . . yeah, I'd re-think the plot!

Everyone says Contemporary is 'what's in' right now. Without an amazing plot line, I find Contemporary a little dry! Throw in a few twists and curves--and I'll probably love it. Would all of those twists and curves happen to one person in one lifetime? I hope not! Poor them! But it sure does make a great, entertaining book. Personally, I love to see how a certain character handles the trials in their life. Often it makes me handle situations in my own life with greater ease.

People love to read horror because they can be 'safely-scared,' tucked away in their own bed or their own living room--feeling scared out of their wits--yet knowing they're safe in the end.

I think the same concept applies to many romantic angst books. Some of the twists and turns can be just as crazy as reading a 'not-ever-going-to happen' horror novel. But, we enjoy the journey. We enjoy seeing how the heroine handles her life--without having to actually experience it ourselves. Why should romance have to abide by 'everything-could-happen' rules?

I do, however, believe that we need to see the characters in a book making logical decisions. Too many dumb decisions will leave the reader throwing the book across the room.

Odds are they won't pick it up again either.

How about you? Do you like a book that is realistic in every sense? Or do you like a book that is just a little bit fantastic? I'd LOVE to hear from you!


Image courtesy of [maple] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

9 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I read a book to be entertained, just like I watch a movie.

    My hubby laughs at me because I watch all these bad movies on the Scifi channel. You know the ones, they are so bad, they are almost a comedy. But I am highly entertained and find it fun to poke at the bad acting and writing.

    I don't expect everything in a book to be real or even possible. I can never understand when someone says that could never happen. Maybe not, but that is not the point. It is a book.

    I want it to be fantastic. I want to travel a road I can't travel in real life.

    Thanks for giving me food for thought and letting me rant a little bit myself.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE your comment, Sherry! We're on the same page! I love those Sci-Fi movies too--they're so ridiculous, yet they are a riot.
      Thanks for your comment. I couldn't agree more and it's so nice to know there are people out there who feel the same as me! It gives me the confidence to go ahead and write more 'fantastic' romance novels!! Not too fantastic, but just enough to keep the reader entertained!

      Delete
    2. I'll be right here to read them. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. I liked the exposure of his ideas in this post. I personally like everything, read everything. But when the author manages to blend fantasy with suspense, romance and a bit of reality, history ica fascinating.
    Having the heroine of the book as a woman atural with her ​​housework or not, see her fantasize your life and get a dose of romance, is a perfect climate for a reading that will become delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, Maristela! I think the combo of suspense, romance, reality, and fantasy do make for a delicious read too! I want to be entertained when I read. I have quite enough reality in my own life, thank you! Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. I agree with you 100%! I read to escape and live in someone else's world for a while. I like to laugh and cry with the characters I read. I also like to read with my kids and we'll discuss the challenges that come up and what options the characters have and it's fun to see if any of us are able to guess what's going to happen!

    I come across lots of books that don't appeal to me at all and I pass them by, knowing that someone else will find them interesting. Confession: I haven't actually read any of your books yet, but they're all on my TBR list as I think they look like good reads. Please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Melanie! You needn't have read my books in order to comment! I love comments and I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. (LOVE that my books are on your TBR list, though!) Enjoy reading with your children--they grow up so fast and then they don't want to read with Mom anymore! (sad day) Thanks for your input. I love to escape into a book too--whether I'm reading it or writing it!

      Delete
  4. I agree with you 100% too. I read to escape the realities of life and enjoy myself. If I wanted to read something boring it would not be Sierra or I Have People. I love to escape into the world of romance, love and of course a touch of tension to make it all come together in the end.
    Anyone that expects a book, FICTION, to be more realistic needs to learn what fiction is. Actually there was a true event about a woman who was kidnapped by mountain men not that long ago. But your books are so wonderful and send you into them with such ease that I personally feel like I am right there with the characters. I would not enjoy reading if I could not feel like I was part of the story and could not escape the everyday life that can get boring or tedious if you let it.
    Keep up the great work and remember, ya can't please everyone but the ones that count are the ones who know what true FICTION really is.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks, Linda! You are truly my champion, the one who always says such nice things about my books. You help to build my confidence level when a bad review is bringing me down! I am so glad to have made your acquaintance! Thanks so much for reaching out and becoming such a wonderful online friend! Your comments always make me happy!

      Delete