Monday, February 25, 2013

BEHIND THE STORY OF LANCASTER HOUSE #4

Today's topic: Another American Idol performance that inspired a scene in Lancaster House!

If you missed yesterday's post about the "writing secrets" in Lancaster House, click here.

Most of you already know that Adam Lambert’s performance of ‘Mad World’ in the Season 8 finale inspired me to write Lancaster House. 



There is one other performance of Adam’s that inspired a certain scene in Lancaster House. I don’t want to give too much away and spoil the story, but there is a certain scene where the hero and heroine are separated. The resulting romantic angst in this scene is extreme. In this scene the heroine falls to her knees and screams the hero’s name several times. I actually watched this particular performance of Adam’s several times as I wrote the scene.

It was disco night on American Idol. Adam surprised us all by doing a ballad of “If I can’t Have You.” It was an amazing rendition. As he sings the song, there is one note where he just . . . screams-sings, for lack of a better word. To me that note was filled with the romantic angst that I wanted to capture in my scene of Lancaster House.

Here’s a link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnIO9o1SNF8

If Lancaster House was ever made into a movie, (wishful thinking) I would vote for this song to be played during this particular scene. That’s how much the song is tied to the scene in my head!

COMING NEXT: An excerpt which includes a description of Andre, the hero of Lancaster House. (Just click and follow!)


This was originally posted during a book tour at Oh, The Books You'll Read. (Along with five-star reviews!)

2 comments:

  1. It's funny that I've read both books and still want to know more!
    Love the song. Still humming it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that song too. I can't get it out of my head. It'll forever remind me of Lancaster House! Thanks for your comment, Laura!

      Delete