Tuesday, June 11, 2013

BEHIND THE STORY OF I HAVE PEOPLE #5

Amnesia 

I Have People deals with amnesia, which I personally find an intriguing subject. Besides the fact that memory loss makes a story interesting, there are a couple of reasons why I chose to write about amnesia: 





Image courtesy of [digitalart] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net


1. WORRY

Yes, worry! Let me explain. I have an active imagination. No surprise there! Seriously, I live in a dream world all the time. Why does that cause me to worry? Imagine this: What if I had an accident wherein the results were amnesia? Would I wake up believing that Alex from Sierra (one of my other books) was really my husband? (I mean, he is my favorite hero and I’m totally in love with him.) My hubby would be horribly hurt. Or maybe he would laugh at me since he’s read all of my books and knows exactly who Alex is! I’m not sure! But, you get the idea. My mind is so filled with imaginary characters; who knows what my subconscious would conjure up as the truth! I am completely intrigued by this thought and this is what sent me on my way towards writing I Have People.

2. A CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCE

I, personally, have never experienced memory loss, thank goodness. (If I have, I certainly don’t remember it.) However, I vividly remember my favorite high school English teacher sadly telling us that his wife had been in a bicycle accident. Due to head trauma, the results were amnesia. I've never forgotten the incident. His story left a huge impact on me. After all, amnesia seemed like something that only happened in the movies! He updated us often on his wife's progress and I was fascinated by the story. This experience has always been in the back of my mind--and greatly influenced the writing of I Have People. That's the way writing works for me. All of my past experiences work their way into my writing. I am continually surprised by this and often think, "Wow, who knew I'd someday use that story in my writing!"

6 comments:

  1. I love that story Taylor. When I was 14 I had a motorcycle wreck and had amnesia. I didn't know who I was or where I was for a little over a week. At one point my grammie said I thought I was Mary Poppins. lol I don't remember the wreck to this day but thank goodness I did get my memory back, or maybe considering my childhood it would have been better had I not remembered. lol At least until I got married and started having a wonderful life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us all. Your friend always, Linda xx :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, Linda! How horrible! I'm glad you got your memory back--and that you were okay! I'm also glad you've had a wonderful life with your hubby. That makes up for a lot. Thanks for sharing that with me!

      Delete
  2. It was scary at the time but life is good. I am so happy and am so honored to be one of your many friends. I do have a very happy and fulfilling life now and would not trade it for anything. Yes it makes up for all I endured as a child and teen. Thank you for sharing all that you share.. I love the pictures of your beautiful grandson. He is so cute. I know you are enjoying every second you get to spend with him. Boy they grow fast though. But will always be our sweet babies.
    I am going to get Joshua's Folly really soon. Waiting to get a new GC. I just don't trust using my credit card. Had some bad luck one time with that and won't do it again. :) Have a wonderful night dear lady and I am assuming you are still visiting your daughter so if you are enjoy that sweet baby. Your friend always, Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be happy to send a paperback of Joshua's Folly to you, Linda! I appreciate you reading and reviewing my books! Yes, I am still visiting my daughter, so I will send out copies when I return home. And, yes I'm enjoying every single minute with my grandson!!! Thanks for your sweet words, my friend!

      Delete
  3. That sounds so intriguing. What would my mind conjure up if I had amnesia? Can't wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Have People is a little intense in parts--it's a story of domestic abuse. But, it does have a happy story in it and it does end happily!! Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for your comment, Charissa!

      Delete