Monday, August 19, 2013

THE WEEKEND

This weekend we celebrated my hubby's birthday, hence we had a lazy, relaxing weekend. We spent Saturday morning sitting in our shady backyard, enjoying brunch and reading. 



I've been reading a lot lately. I learn the most about writing simply from reading. I love to see how different authors execute a scene, world build, construct dialogue, craft sentences, build suspense, handle POV, etc. etc. It's fascinating to me and I love to support other authors.

I'm hard at work on my newest novel, I'm With You. Current word count: 35,000. I know one writer who writes 10k a DAY! Wow! Impressive. Not me. I'm happy if I complete 10K a week, as a matter of fact, that's my goal. I tend to write, then go back and read it over, get the feel of the novel, then move forward and write more, then go back and re-read and tweak, etc. It's a slow process. But that's what works for me. 

If you've read Joshua's Folly, here's a little tidbit you might be interested in: the play Josh and Marisa go see is a real play, really performed nightly during the summer in Palo Duro Canyon, located about twenty minutes outside of Amarillo, Texas. To see a short video go here: http://www.texas-show.com/

I LOVE this play! Can I say it one more time? I LOVE it! We go see it every summer and I never get tired of it. It is an outdoor play and the walls of the canyon are the walls of the theater. It is amazing! And I loved sneaking it into one of my books!

BTW, they don't just use the stage, all of that land behind the stage, it's all used during the course of the performance! The play includes dancing, singing, romance, incredible horsemanship, and amazing special effects!

Check out this you tube video for snippets of the play:
(watch it all if you want to see the horses!)






How was your weekend?

6 comments:

  1. That play looks cool. It reminds me of the plays done at Tuacahn outside of St. George Utah. I love seeing those, and love when the cast uses the red mountain backdrop as part of their stage. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids make fun of me because I love the play so much, and my hubby is tired of seeing it . . . but, if I say who wants to go with me to see Texas . . . they all want to go! So I know they secretly love it! Thanks for your comment, Charissa! I appreciate you always stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like my kind of weekend. Happy Bday to your hubby. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some weekends are busy, filled with projects or events. This one was relaxing and slow and I loved it! Definitely my kind of weekend too! Thanks for the birthday wishes!

      Delete
  3. What a joy it must be to sit in such surroundings and be entertained. I used to go see concerts at an outdoor stage but it wasn't like this.
    Sounds like you and hubby had a wonderful weekend celebrating his birthday. A good book is good medicine:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It it a joy to attend the outdoor theater. It's a pretty amazing experience. The drive into the canyon is sometimes steep and curvy, but not too bad and worth all the effort!
      Love to get lost in a good book. It truly does take away all of your worries, even if it's only temporary. Thanks for your comment, Laura!

      Delete