Monday, October 7, 2013

THE WEEKEND

I didn't do anything newsworthy this weekend. But, on Friday night my daughter introduced me to a music video that really left me thinking about 'sad endings' all weekend.

DO YOU LIKE SAD ENDINGS?

I admit that I love a book or movie that makes me cry, that brings out all of my emotions.

BUT, just once I'd like to watch Titanic, or Somewhere in Time, or Phantom of the Opera and have the ending change.

Titanic: I'd like Jack to climb onto that floating piece of board with Rose and live. (Seriously, why wasn't there room for both of them?)


Somewhere in Time: I'd like Richard Collier to stay 'back in time' with Elise McKenna. Get rid of that stupid penny, don't put it in your pocket!!!
(No matter, it's still my favorite movie and book of all time! The book is called 'Bid Time Return.')


Phantom of the Opera: Honestly, I'd like to see Christine choose the phantom instead of the wimpy Raoul. (At least, if it's the Gerard Butler phantom. Seriously, they can't make him ugly.)


I love the Romeo and Juliet story. I do. But it's another one where I want the ending to change, just once. PLEASE. I hate sad endings. 

So, my daughter says to me, 'Mom, you HAVE  to watch this music video.' And I do--not knowing what's in store for me.

The ending KILLS me. Every time.

Watch it on YouTube here.






See what I mean. So much angst, so much despair.

My books may have major drama, angst, and despair in the middle, but they will ALWAYS have happy endings!

ALWAYS!

DO YOU LIKE SAD ENDINGS?

18 comments:

  1. Sometimes! Like A Walk to Remember, Steel Magnolias.....But other times, I wish there could be a miraculous healing, you know! Like in movies where kids have cancer :( I'm gonna watch the video now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, that is definitely a crying one!! Love it though!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I like the movies you named too. They are sad, but I do like them. They end on a peaceful note, which is helpful. But the music video ends on such a sad note, with so much misunderstanding, I can't take it!

      Delete
    3. I see it's directed by Drew Barrymore! And some famous people are in it as well. West Side Story in 10 minutes!

      Delete
  2. I like it to get tough and despairing in the middle, but I want a happy ending. The story of Tess of the d'Ubervilles still haunts me to this day from the terrible ending. I guess the shock impact makes the story stick with you for longer (maybe?), but I don't like feeling terrible for a long time after when it ends bad. Your stories are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched the video. Sooooo sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Charissa. Tess ended so sadly. It was too much of a tragedy for me. I don't mind the middle of the book despair, but I want a HAPPY ending!!! As long as that's there, I'm okay!

      Delete
  4. Somewhere in Time is a fav of mine and I'm always wishing it could be a happy ending. That dang penny!
    Pride and Prejudice had a happy ending! As did Fried Green Tomatoes and Under the Tuscan Sun. One that I would have loved to change to a happy ending is Love Story. I still cry my eyes out and so wish she could have lived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad endings give me major anxiety. I want to fix their lives and not see any grief or sadness. Maybe that's why I have such a hard time--I want to fix everything and make it perfect. And I agree with you on Love Story. So sad. Reality is not always fun to observe--or to live.

      Delete
  5. That video made me cry. I wish I wouldn't have watched it now. But thanks for sharing. I love the movie City of Angels, Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan, she dies after what he went through to be with her. I hated that ending. Even my hubby hated that ending.
    Love your books though. They always make me get mad but then end so good they cheer me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! Great to hear from you! I love City of Angels--it's one of my favorite movies. But I don't like the ending of that one either! I should've included that one in my post. I hated that Meg Ryan's character dies! So glad you like my books and that the endings always cheer you. I like a happy ending, all tied up in a neat little bow!

      Delete
  6. Taylor. That was ............I do like happy endings, but there is much to be said for the sad ones. They keep us talking long after seeing the movies or reading the books. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Sherry. The ones with the sad endings are certainly unforgettable. They make me think about them and wish for a different outcome. When I read or watch a happy ending, I dismiss it from my mind because I am satisfied. I even do this with my own books. Once it's written, I don't think about it anymore. Kinda sad. It's like that story is done and wiped from my mind. But . . . I can always pull out the book and refresh my memory!!

      Delete
    2. It's funny, but I was just thinking about the ending to the middle aisle yesterday. It is so unique and sweet, I think that will always be one of my favorites.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Sherry. I love that ending too. I suppose some could say it was sad--but I consider it a happy ending.

      Delete
  7. The music from Somewhere In Time makes me cry to this day. This is all your fault, raising me on that movie!

    p.s. love ya mom ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The music from Somewhere in Time still has the power to transport me into another time and place--and brings back good memories as well.
      P.S. love you too, my beautiful daughter!

      Delete