Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Great Historical Fiction

If you enjoy sweet, clean well-written historical fiction, then you will enjoy a Meredith Kennon novel!

I recently read The Gown Shop on Regent Street.


My review:

I greatly enjoyed this novel about a group of friends struggling through life together after facing the horrors of war. It was well written and flowed beautifully. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to pick up the pieces of your life after war--but this story gives you a glimpse into the hard realities people faced. I found myself feeling thankful for the simple things in life that I take for granted on a daily basis.
While I loved the story of the gown shop, my favorite parts included Frank and Melany. I especially enjoyed Frank's sleuthing and Melany's articles.
This book works as a stand alone. It is the first book in the series that I've read and I understood everything that was going on. I'd love to go back and read the earlier stories that were occasionally referenced in the novel--as a matter of fact, I'm looking forward to reading more! Great work, Meredith Kennon!

Check out all of Meredith's novels here.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I like suggestions, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It's the fourth book in the series, although can stand alone. I enjoyed it, but I do want to go back and read the others. I felt it was written with a Jane Austen feel to it. Very precise. But I've always enjoyed that style of writing.

      Delete