Monday, May 9, 2016

FUN FACTS ABOUT CHASING FIREFLIES

Over the next several weeks, I'm going to be posting some fun facts about my newest book.

To see last week's post, go HERE.

Available on AMAZON for pre-order.

CHASING FIREFLIES takes place in China.


It is based off of some of my daughter's experiences while she spent a semester there teaching English.



Here's an interesting little tidbit about China--one that I incorporated into my novel.


The Great Wall was built from east to west across the borders of China. It was created to protect China from raids and invasions. 


Did you know parts of the Great Wall have fallen into severe disrepair? Hiking on it can be quite the adventure. My daughter said she had very sore muscles afterward!

This part of the Wall is pristine.


Other parts, not so much.


Some parts are very steep.


On some parts, she resorted to crab walking so she wouldn't fall!



One more interesting note: Contrary to popular belief, the Great Wall is not the only man made object visible on the earth from the moon. This theory has been debunked as ludicrous.

Read CHASING FIREFLIES for more fun facts about China!


Of course, in the end, this book is not specifically about China. Above all, it’s a love story.




My sisters think I’m crazy.

But, I’ve never forgotten the mysterious woman from my childhood who told me Paul is the name of my one true love.
She told me to search far and wide for him.
I haven’t stopped looking ever since.

When I stumble across an article about a successful American entrepreneur named Paul who lives and works in China, I’m intrigued. When the opportunity to teach English in China presents itself on the same day, I know it’s not a coincidence.

It’s destiny.

My sisters say I’m chasing a dream.

Just like the fireflies we tried to catch on the warm summer evenings of our youth, the dream seems beyond my grasp.   Will my quest for the elusive Paul always be just short of fulfillment?

My sisters tell me it’s a fool’s errand.

Until I remind them of the day we saw the Red Bird.
The memory silences them.
The Red Bird Incident remains inarguable—and proves my search for Paul is not a silly fantasy.

I will find Paul . . . I will.


ADD TO GOODREADS


To see the next post about CHASING FIREFLIES go HERE.


6 comments:

  1. Well, I am crushed by learning that it's not the only man made object seen from space! They LIE lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm disappointed too. I was all set to add this amazing fact to my book--then I found it wasn't true. It sounds like it could be true, doesn't it?

      Delete
    2. Yes! Why would they feel the need to lie about something like that lol.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I have never seen the disrepair parts before. I had no clue. I love seeing your daughter's pics from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have known either--until she told me. I just assumed it was well maintained. But I suppose they don't really need it anymore. It's a sight I would love to see and hike on. But I'd starve there because I really don't care for their food. In fact, after reading CHASING FIREFLIES, my daughter's one complaint was that I made the eating much too easy for them. She said it was total immersion into Chinese food and there were not many options for American food. But Burger, Burger is an important part of the story, so eating remains somewhat easy for my characters!

      Delete
    2. I knew about the broken parts from watching Ghost Hunters explore there lol.

      Delete