Thursday, April 5, 2012

A challenge

At this point in my writing journey, my daughter calls me and issues me a challenge. Keep in mind, her favorite genre is anything paranormal. I write romance. She says to me, “Mom, let’s both write a paranormal story and try to get them published.”

“I don’t write paranormal,” I say.

“Oh, come on, it’ll be fun, we’ll do it together.”

I hang up with the promise that I will think about it. And the more I think about it, an idea comes into my mind. I begin to write my story. I hash it out, rehearsing every plot element with my ever-patient husband. I ask advice from my psychology-degreed daughter. Soon, I end up with a 90,000 word paranormal romance entitled, “Lancaster House.” But, I feel kind of silly writing paranormal, even though I end up loving the story. Maybe like everyone else in the world, I’m just a little bit tired of vampires—yet I LOVE Twilight. I admit it.

However, feeling like my book wasn’t really all that good, I don’t query it. I don’t send it to ANYONE. Not one single query letter.

Instead, I move on and write my next book, entitled, I Have People. Once again, it’s too long, but I don’t know that. It was in the 130,000 range. I do query this book, but only hear rejection.

But, one of the rejection letters is PERSONAL.

And this is HUGE.

Image: scottchan / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment